In 1947, AlburyCity Council gave 75 pounds (about $150) to Albury Arts Society, creating the first municipal art prize in NSW. In 2016 MAMA ran it's own MAMA Art Prize for the first time.
Historically, the prize consists of four awards that are dedicated to creating opportunities for artists in the shires of Wentworth, Balranald, Wakool, Conargo, Murray, Urana, Jerilderie, Berrigan, Greater Hume Shire, Deniliquin, Corowa, Albury, Wodonga, Indigo and Towong.
Director Jacqui Hemsley said MAMA, which has attracted more than 50,000 visitors since it opened in October, needed to increase its regional collection.
"MAMA is dedicated to supporting and encouraging artists working in the regions," Ms Hemsley said. "This is a wonderful opportunity to introduce Murray artists to Albury audiences and increase the profile and awareness of the creative talent and excellence right here in regional Australia.
"We encourage regional artists to apply and meet fellow artists, present themselves and their work to new audiences and have an opportunity for an exhibition in MAMA."
Entries close on Friday 27 May at 4pm and are sought from any areas of the visual arts.The MAMA Art Prize is valued at over $15,000 consisting of four awards:
- MAMA Art Prize Acquisitive Winner - $3000 prize
- Susan Moorhead Memorial Acquisition Award - $2000 prize (for emerging artists living within 100km of Albury-Wodonga)
- Jennifer Bowskill Acquisition Award for Photography - $1500 prize (for female photographers over the age of 35)
- MAMA First Nations Acquisition Award - $1500 cash (for First Nations artists in the Murray region)
The MAMA Art Prize exhibition will be on show from 15 July to 21 August 2016.
- Deborah Kelly 2010 Albury Art Prize
- Richard Janson 2012 Susan Moorhead Memorial Award
- Andrew Pearce 2009 Susan Moorhead Memorial Award
- Catherine O'Donnell 2009 Albury Art Prize